With all the distractions life can throw at you, it’s nice to get outside and enjoy the sunshine—plus, there’s something about eating outdoors that makes food taste all the more delicious. An al fresco picnic on a warm, sunny day makes the perfect gift for outdoors people and foodies alike.
It’s easy to throw a couple snacks in a tote bag and sprawl out on a patch of grass, but a little planning can go a long way. Here are some ways to give the gift of a picnic they won’t soon forget.
When choosing a location for your picnic, it’s all about finding a place where you and your loved one can relax and enjoy each other’s company with minimal distractions. Choose somewhere that is meaningful to both of you—where you first met, the setting of a memorable date, or a former hangout from your early days. Here are a few ideas if you’re stuck.
At the beach:
- Sites near water—like your loved one’s favourite beach or lake–make a tranquil environment for a picnic. Find a sandy spot with a nice view and take in the scene with a refreshing drink. Elevate their experience by timing your picnic around sunrise or sunset.
- In the park:
- A lush, quiet park can also be a relaxing environment for a picnic. Find a secluded spot where you can enjoy distraction-free time with your loved one (or less secluded if you like to people watch). Bring along outdoor cushions to make your picnic extra cozy and comfortable.
- Go hiking:
- Take your loved one on that hike that’s been on their bucket list, and top it off with a scenic picnic overlooking their favourite mountain vista or look-out point. Or turn your relaxing picnic into an overnight adventure by camping out under the stars. Nothing feels more rewarding post-hike than a good view and good eats with good company.
Setting the scene is crucial to creating the atmosphere that will make your picnic memorable (and insta-worthy). Whether you’re going for a romantic vibe or just a low-key hang, sprucing up your picnic space with some decor is the best way to show you care.
- Flowers can add a pop of colour and beauty to your picnic space, not to mention a floral fragrance to the air. For a simpler feel, you can make small bouquet arrangements and display them around your set-up in mason jars and little vases. If you’re feeling extra crafty, create a whimsical secret garden by hanging your jars of flowers and greenery from nearby tree branches with twine or colourful ribbon.
- Lighting is key. If you’re staying out past dusk you’ll want to brighten up your space just enough so that you can see each other, but also still enjoy the night sky. Hanging lanterns in the trees overhead can add a unique dimension to your picnic. Plus, there’s nothing more special than a candlelit meal. Bring along tea lights and scented candles that will last into the evening (and steer mosquitoes away as an added bonus).
- Fancy Seating:
- While you can’t go wrong with a cozy picnic blanket or checkered place mat, a vintage bohemian rug can act as a great blanket that’s both durable and stylish! Bring along cushions and pillows for comfort. To top it all off, you can use a wooden board or platter as a tabletop—not only will it add a rustic feel to your picnic but it will make eating easier and less messy.
A perfect picnic is all about spending quality time together, but after an hour or so, you may need some extra excitement.
- Get your hearts pumping before digging into your spread by riding your bikes around the park or going on a walk along the water.
- For a more relaxed vibe, bring your favorite books or play that album you both adore from a portable speaker. Have a camera handy?
- A picnic also makes a picturesque setting for a photoshoot; spend the afternoon capturing memories that you can keep forever.
Please provide your email address and we'll send you a beautiful certificate for your recipient.